Thursday, January 13, 2011

My latest HubPages and Suite101 articles, losing weight and my Corrs obsession

Since my last blog, I've written 3 new articles for the Money Grows on Hubs contest at HubPages and 1 article for Suite101. If you didn't read my last post, the HubPages contest is centred around personal finances and there are sub-topics each day. We can write about anything having to do with personal finance, but if we do the day's topic, we get extra entries into that day's drawing. My three latest articles are:

The Basics of Financial Planning - what financial planning is, why it's important for everyone at every age, and a few examples of things you can/should plan for.

What You Need to Know When Creating a Budget for a Wedding and Ways to Cut Costs When Planning a Wedding Yourself. Wednesday's sub-topic was saving for a wedding, and although I'm not married, I did help my brother and sister-in-law plan their wedding, so I've had a bit of personal experience in the area. They did the wedding on a very small budget and with the help of family and friends, and they had a really beautiful wedding so I know for a fact that you can plan a wedding on a small budget!

My other newest article is Going to a Baby Shower? Consider a Gift for the Mother-to-Be at Suite101. A few things contributed to the idea for this particular article: I've been to, and even hosted a few baby showers and have seen the expectant mother almost completely overshadowed by a baby that hasn't even been born yet. Everything is about the baby - have you chosen a name? Do you know the sex? What theme are you doing the nursery? Have you finished the nursery?  This is natural of course, but I know that if it was me and my hormones were raging, I'd want a little of the attention since I'd be the one carrying around a tiny human being for the better part of a year. The other thing in the back of my mind while writing this was an episode of Friends where Phoebe is pregnant and Rachel and Monica throw her a baby shower and give her things like alcohol and leather pants that she can't use for months to come and Phoebe flipped out on them.  It always made me laugh, and it was definitely in my mind while I was writing this article.

I had an email this morning from my editor at Suite101 asking for a few changes to my article The Possible Health Benefits of Cinnamon - it slowed me down a lot this morning because I had to do a ton of research (which I normally don't mind, but the medical jargon had my eyes crossing), but it's done now.  Then, as I was finishing, I got an email from the editor of an anthology that I'd submitted a story to last September and she couldn't use the story.  I wanted to cry - it's not the first rejection letter I've received but it never gets easier and it's hard not to take it personally, even though I know I shouldn't because she probably had hundreds or maybe even thousands of entries and could only use a few.  But I really liked that story and I was proud of it...the old me would have sulked and fretted and worked myself into a negative mind-set, but I know what a waste of time that would be, so I'm going to look for other places to submit it and I'm going to stay positive and confident that someone else will accept it.  It just would have been such a coup for me to get a story published in an actual book, you know?  Bah.  I do believe that everything happens for a reason though, and there's a reason for this - maybe the publisher who does eventually accept it will pay me more or it will have greater exposure than this book would have.  Who knows!

Now for the non-writing stuff (I'm beginning to think I should have a blog dedicated just to writing, but my life isn't exciting enough right now to carry a blog just about myself lol), I've been doing really well with my goals in general for the year so far. I've worked out every day and I've slowly started jogging again after a couple months' break. I lost 7 pounds the first week of the year (I won't repeat what I said when I stepped on the scale last Saturday morning, I'd like to keep this blog PG haha), and I can see the changes in my body already, it's unbelievable. I was passing a mirror yesterday and had to stop and backtrack and take a look because it's already that noticeable. When my mum got home last night, I lifted my baggy sweater and showed her how my belly is flatter and she was amazed at that and the definition in my waist.  Already!

I've decided to only take measurements once a month because I got really wrapped up in them last year when I was losing weight and would get really frustrated because I'd consistently lose weight but not many inches. The weight seemed to be coming off in random places like my feet and fingers and face and not my belly and legs and arms where I really wanted it to come off. I'm still going to weigh myself once a week because I need something to go on and something to keep me motivated, but I'm really hoping that when I take my measurements the 1st of February, I'll be amazed and happy with the results.

I've also been organizing my living and work space, taking my own advice about preventing distraction and staying focused by having an uncluttered working space. My room (which doubles as an office) is almost unrecognizable and I love it, I find I'm concentrating better already!

I guess that's it for this time. This is random, but I've been on a Corrs kick the past few days, listening to them almost non-stop. They're great for when I'm writing and they were also great yesterday when I was cleaning and organizing and sorting (and dancing around my room so I wouldn't go crazy while cleaning, and because I could only fit in a short walk yesterday lol). 



I hope everyone else is having a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work getting healthier! And don't worry about rejections....... I haven't submitted to any places yet but I have heard lots and lots of authors say that you get rejected much more than you get accepted. Each rejection is one step closer to an acceptance! And it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with your work either- lots of popular works were originally rejected! Take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angel! I appreciate the encouragement so much. :-) I always try to remember the example of JK Rowling - nobody would touch Harry Potter at first and now look, it's a world-wide phenomenon. I have faith that it'll happen for me someday, and for now I'm enjoying writing articles.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...