Saturday, June 11, 2011

First summer road trip of 2011 - Amherst Island

Me, Noah, Mum, Logan
Yesterday was our first road trip of the season!  We had a few places in mind but finally decided on Amherst Island, where my Grama was born and raised, and where I spent a lot of time as a little girl with my family.  A cousin of mine used to have a cottage there, and my mum, dad, brother and I would go spend time with her, and I have fond memories of swimming, fishing, sitting around a campfire at night, and visiting with other family who came to visit.
Noah
I think the last time I was on the island was about 5 or 6 years ago when my oldest nephew was 2 or 3.  We went for the day, had a picnic, drove around the island and stopped for ice cream before taking the ferry home. 

Logan
This time was much the same, except now my nephew is about to turn 9 and we had a new addition, my 16-month old nephew.  It was his first time on a ferry and his first time on the island, very exciting milestones!  We had a picnic, played at the park, went for a walk, then a drive, and visited the cemetery where some of my ancestors are buried.

Amanda, Jamie, me
I hope this was the first of many road trips to come this summer.  I'm so lucky to have family who are also my best friends, because we always have fun together, no matter what we do.

 

Speaking of road trips, I kept thinking yesterday that in a month, I'd be taking another road trip - to Toronto to see U2!  The concert is a month from today, I can't believe how fast the time is going.  It feels like I've been counting down forever - by the time the concert finally rolls around, I'll have had my tickets for almost 2 years because of last year's postponement due to Bono's back injury.  This will be my 3rd time seeing U2, and we're going up for a couple of days to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday as well.  I can't wait!! 

*****

I didn't get around to doing the Friday Follow Fun or Blog Hop this week because I was gone all day yesterday, but I'll join in for next week's.  I'll be back tomorrow with my latest Library Loot post.  For now, I've gotta sign off because it's storming outside! lol  Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. :) Looks like a fun day at Amherst Island. I love to go on daytrips too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love road trips! I have so many fond memories from childhood taking trips with my parents.

    U2 fan? Did you know Bono cites the author Flannery O'Connor as one of his influences?

    I'm featuring Flannery on my blog this week. You might want to take a look.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...