Friday, September 23, 2011

Book Review: Brightwing by Sullivan Lee

Brightwing by Sullivan Lee
Published: July 6, 2011
Publisher: Independent
335 pages (ebook)
Genre: Romance/action
Acquired this book: From the author in exchange for an honest review
Warning: may include spoilers
{Amazon  ||  GoodReads}

 


Synopsis: Edgar and Mallory Battle are on the run after a spectacularly violent escape. Now, with a trail of bodies behind them, they need a hostage against the inevitable standoff with the police. Their first doesn't last long, thanks to sociopathic Mallory. Edgar has been hiding his brother's crimes since they were kids. Now he's torn between family loyalty and self-preservation.

They carjack Lucy Brightwing, a criminal fresh from her own heist, with a fortune of uncut gems hidden in her vehicle. She could escape - but she won't abandon her millions. She could kill the Battle brothers, but she has to be careful. For one thing, if the law investigates, they'll find her ill-gotten loot. For another, her own life is sacred. She's the last member of a Florida paleoindian tribe thought to be extinct - the Tequesta. With her share of the money she plans to buy, bribe and blackmail her way into her own ancestral tribal lands in the heart of the Everglades: a Tequesta nation.

Lucy leads the brothers into her beloved swamp, determined to kill them. But when she falls for Edgar she must decide whether to risk her heritage and the future of her tribe to save the doomed brothers.


What I thought about Brightwing:
I’m really on the fence about this book. On the one hand, it was really well written, and as a writer and editor, I appreciate good writing. In my mind, the story was broken into thirds – the first part was interesting, and I enjoyed it. I didn’t enjoy the middle at all, it was too long and detailed, and nothing really happened. The last part got good again, there was action and excitement, and I found myself constantly wondering how it was going to end. The actual ending, however, really disappointed me – I thought, ‘They went through all of that, and this is how it ends???’ It left me with a sour taste in my mouth for sure.

I really liked that the main character was a Native American woman. I’ve always enjoyed learning about Native American legends, lore, tribes, etc., and there was a lot of interesting information, but in my opinion, there was too much. For me, it detracted from the story and seemed like filler. It was obviously very well researched, but it was overdone.

I absolutely loathed Mallory. I have to say that’s a sign of a good writer, when you feel genuine emotions for a fictional character, whether it's love or hate. He made me sick, and I wanted him to die so badly, you can’t imagine. After all he did, I didn’t think it was fair that he didn’t have to pay for his crimes. Strangely enough, I didn't feel the same about Edgar, even though I probably should have. I had a real soft spot for Edgar for some reason, and wanted things to work out for him, and for him and Lucy together. The way the book ended, I'm not exactly sure about either.


 

1 comment:

  1. I am about to review this book. Now I am definitely looking forward to meeting Mallory! Great review!

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...