Thursday, October 20, 2011

Book Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce
Series: Fairytale Retellings #1
Published: June 7th, 2010
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
324 pages (hardcover)
Genre: YA paranormal romance
Acquired this book: From the library
Warning: may include spoilers

Synopsis: Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend-but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

What I thought of Sisters Red:
Sisters Red is like a sick, twisted version of Little Red Riding Hood. I don’t often read darker stories – it’s not that I don’t enjoy them, it just sort of works out that way. This story was dark, disturbing, had its nasty moments, but all of that made the story. The action and tension had me on the edge of my seat, constantly wondering what was going to happen. I’m an incredibly slow reader, but I zoomed through this book, especially the last quarter or so, because I couldn’t stand not knowing what was going to happen (if you’ve read this book, see spoiler at the end of the review to see what I’m talking about).

This story was so unique, and the characters were terrific. Scarlett is scarred and damaged in more ways than one. She’s a girl on a mission, and nothing and no one is going to stand in her way or stop her.

Rosie wants to assert her independence and show that she’s strong enough to fight on her own. She wants to have a life outside of hunting, but feels that she owes her sister her life because Scarlett protected her from the wolf that killed their grandmother. She struggles with guilt and a desire to have a life beyond the hunt.

I loved the romance in this book. Silas is just incredible. I appreciated that he and Rosie didn’t get together right away, and they don’t go into it lightly. It wasn’t an instant romance, so it was fun to watch it build, feel the tension between them, and wish they would hurry up and just be together!

This book really had a bit of everything - action, romance, suspense. I can't wait to read Sweetly!
 
SPOILER ALERT - highlight black part to read spoiler: I was about halfway through this book when I went to update my status on GoodReads and accidentally saw something someone had written as a comment on a review for this book, and it led me to believe that someone dies. I panicked. I loved the characters, and didn’t want any of them to die, but kept creating these scenarios in my head. When I figured out that Silas was the Potential, and then it was revealed, I was so sure he was the one who was going to die, and I felt sick. It would have to be either Rosie or Scarlett who killed him, and I honestly almost stopped reading because I didn’t think I could handle it - I loved him so much! I thought the death might even be Rosie or Scarlett - that one of them would be killed be a Fenris, or that Silas would change and kill one of them. I thought it might be one of those books where someone dies for the greater good, or because it ‘has to’ happen for the story to progress. There was part of me that thought ‘no, they’ll figure it out, there’ll be some twist’, but after reading what I thought was a spoiler, I just couldn’t see how it was going to happen! Did anyone else who read this think one of the characters was going to die?


2 comments:

  1. I loved Sisters Red! Glad to see you enjoyed it, too =)


    -Wendy from A Cupcake and a Latte: YA Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really intrigued by this one. Red Riding Hood was one of the only fairy tales I enjoyed as a kid. I love dark settings as well and nice to know the romance is good. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...