Thursday, January 19, 2012

Within Blog Tour - Review of Within by Clare C. Marshall


Within by Clare Marshall
Published: November 9th, 2011
Publisher: Faery Ink Press
192 pages (ebook)
Genre: YA thriller/paranormal
Acquired this book: From the author in exchange for an honest review
Warning: may include spoilers

Synopsis: Trinity Hartell’s life changed after the accident. Left with irreversible brain damage, she becomes a burden to her mother, a cause for heartbreak for her boyfriend Zack, and a flattened obstacle for her jealous best friend, Ellie.

But then she starts writing. Perhaps it’s a coincidence that the psychotic, murderous protagonist of her novel bears a striking similarity to the charming Wiley Dalton, a mayoral candidate in the upcoming election.

Or, perhaps not…




Within wasn’t what I was expecting, but it grabbed me right away and had me very curious.

There were quite a few twists and turns, lots of action, and it was refreshingly unpredictable. The story was unique, well written, dark and sometimes disturbing, heartbreaking, and very realistic. I liked how the reader got to experience things from different character’s perspectives and really see how Trinity’s brain damage affected everyone in her life. 

'Edmund' was a great villain - sick, twisted, and psychotic, but able to cover it up with a charming smile and winning personality so that nobody would suspect that he was really a crazy, Hitler-esque murderer. The things he did should have seemed far-fetched, but he was so sick that they actually seemed very real and believable.

I appreciated the fact that the story wasn’t all that long. Too many books are much longer than they need to be and are packed with filler, but this book was just right and it held my interest all the way through.

On a side note, I loved that it was set in Canada. Ms Marshall is from Halifax and that's where the story was set. Most Canadian authors set their books in the States or somewhere else, so that’s something Ms Marshall and I have in common as Canadian authors - we both set our books in Canada. It was exciting for me to read about familiar places like Tim Horton’s and Shopper’s Drug Mart. I’ve never been to Halifax, but because my dad’s side of the family is from the east coast, I recognized a lot of the places mentioned in the book, and that added an extra layer of enjoyment for me personally.

I definitely think this book deserves more attention. It was so different, and had a bit of everything. I can’t wait to see what Ms Marshall does in the future.


About the author: Clare Marshall grew up in rural Nova Scotia with very little television and dial up internet, and yet, she turned out okay. She has a combined honours in journalism and psychology from the University of King’s College, and is a graduate from Humber College’s Creative Book Publishing Program. She founded Woulds & Shoulds Editing and Design in 2010 for self-published authors looking for quality editing and design services. When she’s not writing, she enjoys playing the fiddle and making silly noises at cats. Her website is www.faeryinkpress.com

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating Marie ^_^ I can't wait to finish your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, this one sounds interesting. And you're completely right--so many books are just packed with filler. It's one thing I'm going to avoid while writing my novels. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic review...i want to read this one :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...