Thursday, August 30, 2012

Update Thursday #5

I got this idea from the amazingly wonderful Jessica from Thoughts at One in the Morning. Every Thursday, I’ll be posting an update on my reading, writing, what’s going on at the blog, and anything else I think should be mentioned. 

How is it Thursday again already, you guys? And an even better question: how the hell is it almost September?! Where did August go? *sigh* Anyway, I hope you're all having a terrific week. Here's what's been going on in my life, and on the blog:
 
READING:
I finished reading Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo, and Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson. They were both good, and I'll have my review for Second Chance Summer up either tomorrow or next week, and LAOPI a little later. The publication date is December, but it was originally published under a different title in 2010, so does anyone know how that works? Publishers usually want you to wait until closer to the date, but are there different rules when it's technically already been published?
 
Right now I'm reading So Damn Lucky by Deborah Coonts. It's adult mystery/humour, and it's the third in the Lucky O'Toole Vegas Adventure series. 
 
ON THE BLOG:
I reviewed Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler (gave it 5 stars - it was one of my favourite books of this summer)
 
I reviewed Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry (I would have given this one more than five stars if I could. I'm thinking of creating an 'award' for those rare books that I love so much they're in a class all their own)

I did a The Daydreamer's Ramblings post about bloggers calling it quits (the unsettling trend of bloggers disappearing because of bullying, threats, stalkers, and trolls)

I shared my latest book haul with a vlog

WRITING
I finished the first round of revisions for book #2! The book is currently in the hands of my alpha reader, who, after just two days is already almost finished. I'm thinking that's a good sign? I have to refrain from asking her every five minutes if she likes it lol. Next week I'll start sending it out to my beta readers which makes me really nervous and excited. I have three fantastic girls who I trust completely, and I can't wait to see what they think. In my mind I'm picturing November 13th as the publication date, but that might change. I was working on the cover today, but I'm still having trouble finding an image that really grabs me. Hopefully I find it soon so I can design the cover and get it up on GoodReads. 

OTHER AWESOMENESS:
My super-fantasmically-amazing friend Jessica is still doing her weekly Journey of Self-Publishing series where she asked me and three other indie authors a ton of really insightful questions about independent publishing. This week's topic was Promotion. I'd love for you to check out not only the post, but also the entire series. Jess worked really, really hard on it, and if you've ever considered self-publishing, I think it's worth a read. God knows I wish there'd been something like this a little over a year ago when I was doing research on self-publishing!

I was really honoured yesterday to be the very first featured blogger on Gone Bookserk (how clever is that name? I love it). I won a book from Elemillia in her 100 follower giveaway (I chose In Honor by Jessi Kirby, which I've been dying to read - thank you Elemillia!), and she did a wonderful little spotlight on me, which I thought was so sweet and wonderful. I'd love for you guys to check it out, browse around Gone Bookserk, and leave Elemillia some love!

MUSIC OF THE WEEK:
This is a new addition to Update Thursday. I'm a music fiend, and although if you were to visit me you'd hear me listening to U2 most days, I get on kicks for random music, and this week I had a few specific songs stuck in my head allll week, so I thought I'd share them.
 
*The Phantom of the Opera movie soundtrack (the 2004 Gerard Butler/Emmy Rossum version), particularly the Phantom theme song, "Music of the Night", and "All I Ask of You". I'm obsessed with this movie - I've borrowed it from the library so many times I'm surprised the disc isn't worn out. I really need to just suck it up and buy myself a copy. My entire childhood I wanted to see Phantom in Toronto, but never got to. I'm still hoping I'll get to see it in NYC someday.
*"Just a Kiss" by Lady Antebellum
*"Dancing Away With My Heart" by Lady Antebellum
"I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" by U2
"Maneater" by Hall and Oates (I've been wanting to rewatch Runaway Bride - one of my favourite movies ever - and this song is on the soundtrack, so when I started thinking about the movie, this song popped into my head and I had it on repeat half of yesterday..did I mention I have eclectic tastes? lol)

That's it for me! What's new with you? What have you been reading and blogging about lately?

 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure whether there are different rules regarding books that have already been published for posting reviews. I'd say in that situation you can go either way, but that's just my opinion.

    MUSIC!!! My brother and his friend are learning to play "Maneater"--they want to do what Seether did for "Careless Whisper" by Wham! with guitar in place of saxophone. So, I keep getting that one in my head, lol. My grandma always wanted to take me to see Phantom in Toronto. She loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have been busy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...