Monday, October 8, 2012

Music Monday #6 - Feel

Music is a huge part of my life, and so even though Ramblings of a Daydreamer is technically a book blog, I wanted to dedicate Mondays to music.
If you'd like to join me, grab the graphic and let's talk music on Mondays! Talk about anything music related you want -spotlight a band or singer, a specific song, album, video, soundtrack, a concert you went to, old music, new music, obscure music, whatever you want. Tell us what song is inspiring you this week, or what you've listened to while reading or writing. Make a soundtrack for a favourite book, or tell us a song you associate with a certain character. Share your post in the linky below and then be sure to visit other blogs!


Songs on Repeat This Week:
Feel - Robbie Williams
Change Your Mind - The Killers
The World We Live in - The Killers
Do It For Me Now - Angels & Airwaves
A Little's Enough - Angels & Airwaves
Love This Pain - Lady Antebellum
When You Got a Good Thing - Lady Antebellum



I have a story to go with this song...when I first got the internet about ten years ago, I was obsessed with chat rooms. I made a few friends, but the best friend I made was Willie. He was in his thirties and lived in England, and pretty soon we were talking every day via MSN. We talked about family, life, music, movies, his art, my writing, England, Canada, all kinds of stuff. At the time, I was really into Avril Lavigne, and I introduced him to her music. He fell in love…with her music and with her. He was obsessed. Because Avril and I are from the same town, there were always tons of articles about her in the paper, so I would clip them out and send them to him, and I sent him Avril calendars, magazines, CDs, you name it. In exchange, he got me into Robbie Williams, and I became equally obsessed.

I was familiar with Robbie - I knew he’d been in Take That, and I knew a couple of his solo songs, but Willie sent me Escapology (Robbie’s 2002 album), and I loved it. My favourite song was Feel.

Willie had various health problems, and eventually he was diagnosed with leukemia. He knew it didn't look good, and his last wish was to see Avril live...and he got to see in Manchester before he died. He was so thrilled, and I was thrilled for him, because I knew how much it meant to him. I still miss him, and every time I listen to Avril and Robbie, I think of him - the crazy Englishman who was twice my age, who was my best friend for a short period, but who made a huge impact on my life in a lot of ways (if you’ve read Blue Sky Days, you’ll get the significance).

Anyway, around that time, I started getting my mum into my music. She loved Robbie, and Feel was our song. Not because of the lyrics, just because we both loved it. It seemed to come on the radio every time we were in the car, and I’d blast it and we’d sing along. Willie’s and my song was ‘Angels’ because we both agreed it reminded us of our wonderful mothers…but I still can’t listen to that song without breaking down, so today’s song is Feel.

Today is Thanksgiving here in Canada, so I’m dedicating this song to my mum - the person I’m most thankful for, the one who’s always there for me and loves me unconditionally, despite the fact that I’m a complete whackadoo - and to Willie, for introducing me to Robbie’s music.

I don’t exactly get the video (I don’t get many music videos, tbh - kind of an embarrassing confession lol), but it’s freaking sexy. At 3:29, the way he looks at her…*sigh*…I want a guy to look at me that way someday.

“I just want to feel real love
Fill the home that I live in
‘Cause I got too much life
Running through my veins
Going to waste”


“There’s a hole in my soul
You can see it in my face
It’s a real big place

Come on hold my hand
I want to contact the living
Not sure I understand
This role I’ve been given”

~Feel - Robbie Williams~



If you know me at all, you'll know that I'm obsessed with U2. They're my favourite band, I work them into a conversation whenever possible, and since I can't in good conscience talk music without talking about them, I decided to add a feature at the end of every Music Monday post with a U2 lyric.

"Tough
You think you've got the stuff
You're telling me and anyone
You're hard enough
You don't have to put up a fight
You don't have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches
For you tonight

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don't have to go it alone"
 
~Sometime You Can't Make it On Your Own - U2~


What songs are on your mind this week? 

4 comments:

  1. I like the lyrics to that song. :) The story behind it is pretty amazing. It's so strange how all of us can meet up online and impact each other's lives in such small ways. I wouldn't trade it for anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a lovely story. My mom and I share a lot of the same favourite songs as well. Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get music videos either. Glad I'm not the only one. That look is adorable, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been listening to a lot of Killer's lately too. Do you have their new album? They're definitely among my favorite bands!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...