Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Meet the Family Holiday Hop - Christmas Traditions


The Meet the Family Blog Hop is hosted by Terri Giuliano Long, and is a chance for people to share posts related to the holidays - stories, recipes, favourite holiday books, movies, songs, etc. Today I'm talking about my family's traditions.

Christmas Traditions in the Landry Home

My family is big on traditions. Every year, we do the same thing for Christmas. My mum and I decorate our apartment early in December - we have a lot of really beautiful decorations, most of which were made by family members. The majority of our decorations - ceramic reindeer, snowmen, a Santa Claus, a tree with lights in the shape of birds - have been around longer than I have, and hold fond childhood memories of Christmases past, and special memories of the people who made them.


Auntie's babies last Christmas
We celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve with my brother, sister-in-law, and two nephews - Noah, 10, and Logan, 2. (Next year there will be a baby around for Christmas since my brother and sister-in-law are expecting their third child in June!) Christmas is so much more exciting with kids around - their enthusiasm is contagious, and you can’t help but be happy and feel the magic in the air. I do all the cooking, and in the last couple of years, we’ve gone all out with a feast that provides enough leftovers for at least a week: turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, broccoli casserole, homemade macaroni and cheese, among other delectable dishes.


We always start a Christmas movie before dinner (Home Alone usually wins out if Noah has his way, although any of the movies in the Santa Clause trilogy are my personal favourites), and after dinner we sit around the tree, open gifts, and take pictures. When the chaos of present-opening is over, we finish our holiday movie and have dessert.


I love my family’s traditions. We’ve added a few new things here and there over the years, but the base of it - the heart of it - remains the same. While I have mixed feelings about Christmas and tend to have a love/hate relationship with it (mostly because I've lost several loved ones who adored Christmas, so it's usually a difficult time of year), I’m able to forget about everything but my family on Christmas Eve, enjoy their company, and remember how incredibly blessed I am to have a healthy, loving, supportive family. 

Does your family have holiday traditions? What are some of your favourites?


{Facebook || Twitter || GoodReads || Pinterest || YouTube || Author blog || Personal/photography blog} 

Check out the other hop participants and plus enter the giveaway!

Check out In Leah's Wake by our sponsor Terri Giuliano Long!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

3 comments:

  1. Traditions are crazy things and so important. My daughter got married a year ago and it has been interesting seeing the new traditions she and her husband are creating: a sort of melding of two families. It is quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely post, Marie. It sounds as though you've established some lovely traditions and the Christmas meal sounds delicious! Thank you for taking part in the hop!

    My best,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. I know what you mean about family traditions.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...