Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Review: Out on Good Behavior by Dahlia Adler

Out on Good Behavior by Dahlia Adler
Series: Radleigh University #3
Published: June 14th, 2016
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Contemporary New Adult/LGBTQ+        
Acquired this book: From the author in exchange for honest consideration
Warning: May contain spoilers
{GoodReads || Buy this book: Amazon || Kobo}

 
Frankie Bellisario knows she can get anyone she sets her sights on, but just because she can doesn't mean she should—not when the person she's eyeing is Samara Kazarian, the daughter of a southern Republican mayor. No matter how badly Frankie wants to test her powers of persuasion, even she recognizes some lines aren't meant to be crossed.

But when Frankie learns she's been on Samara's mind too, the idea of hooking up with her grows too strong to resist. Only Sam's not looking for a hookup; she wants—needs—the real thing, and she's afraid she'll never find it as long as Frankie's in her head.

Forced to choose between her first relationship and losing the girl who's been clawing her way under her skin, Frankie opts to try monogamy...under her own condition: 30 days of keeping things on the down low and remaining abstinent. If she fails as hard at girlfriending as she's afraid she might, she doesn't want to throw Samara's life into upheaval for nothing. But when neither the month nor Frankie's heart go according to plan, she may be the one stuck fighting for the happily ever after she never knew she wanted.


Having read and enjoyed all of Adler’s previous books, I was eager to read Out on Good Behavior, yet sad to say goodbye to the Radleigh University characters. I’d been curious about Frankie since Lizzie’s book, Last Will and Testament, and was excited to read a main character who identified as pansexual and was clearly comfortable with her sexuality.

Out on Good Behavior had so much of what I’ve been looking for (and not really finding) in f/f: on-page rep (including good definitions/explanations of pansexuality), a main character who’s out and proud, fairly low angst and drama, and a happy ending. As much as I know we’ll always, always need coming out stories and characters grappling with their sexuality and/or gender, I’ve also been desperate for characters who are out and just living life, and a story where not every thought or issue comes back to their orientation or ID. While Samara’s orientation wasn’t clear in the beginning and some of the plot did deal with her willingness/ability to come out, I appreciated Frankie’s openness. And not only her openness about her sexuality, but the fact that she enjoyed sex, was comfortable in her body, and didn’t care what other people thought. She was a refreshing character.

I think one of the things I liked best about the book was that Frankie - confident, badass Frankie - was taken out of her comfort zone and put into situations that were new for her and allowed her to grow in a natural way. I love when characters who have a distinct personality are able to change and become something new without sacrificing the core of who they are. Adler did a great job of this, and I was so proud of Frankie’s growth. I really enjoyed Frankie and Sam’s friendship and blossoming slow-burn romance, the witty banter between them, plus the steamy sexytimes. And, as with the other books in the series, I enjoyed the scenes where everyone was together and wished I could be friends with this dynamic trio of ladies and their significant others (although I still want Connor for myself - #sorrynotsorry Lizzie!).

Out on Good Behavior is a strong finish to a fantastic New Adult companion series. Lizzie, Cait, and Frankie felt like my own friends while I was reading. I’m sad to say goodbye to them, but I know they’ll stick with me for a long time.


 
 
 
{My review of Behind the Scenes || My review of Under the Lights}
 
{My review of Just Visiting}  

{M
y review of Last Will and Testament || My review of Right of First Refusal}

Have you read Out on Good Behavior? What did you think? If you haven't read it, do you plan to? Have you read any of the other Radleigh University books? What are your favourite college-set books?
http://sweetmarie-83.blogspot.ca/p/about-me.html
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/4690637

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Ramblings of a Daydreamer! I love hearing what you have to say, and I appreciate every single comment. I hope to see you here again soon! ♥
~Marie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...